History

= History of MMBS (Taisho Period) =

 Visiting researchers from abroad gradually increased in number after the setting-up of the new station in Koajiro, and some of them stayed there for a long time. Dr. Bashford DEAN (left photograph), a famous American ichthyologist, came in 1900-01 and again in 1905. With his wife, he stayed in a villa residence he himself provided. This house was later donated to the Station; as the Dean House, it remained in use until recently. Similarly, Dr. David Starr JORDAN from the United States visited the Station in 1900. He collected many kinds of fish, amounting to 220 species, of which 25 were described as new species. The names of several other famous biologists of the time can also be seen in the records: Dr. Peter SCHMIDT from Russia in 1901, Dr. Franz DOFLEIN from Germany in 1904, Dr. J.O. SNYDER and Dr. C.H. GILBERT (right photograph) from the United States in 1906, Dr. W.E. KELLICOTT in 1913, Dr. Theodor MORTENSEN (an echinoderm specialist) in 1914, and Drs. E.N. & E.B. HARVEY In 1916.

visitor 1
visitor 2

Back to Page Top

 In 1910, the Station was expanded under the supervision of Professor Isao IJIMA(named as the second Director in 1904); this was done in connection with the establishment of the Institute of Fisheries in the College of Agriculture (now the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Tokyo). The campus was enlarged by purchasing an adjacent area of about 23,000 m2; it thus reached nearly its present size. The old buildings were remodeled and extended, and two new buildings, including an aquarium, were added. The dormitory was also enlarged. The aquarium was open to the public without charge.
 The "Dosun-Maru," a 12-ton sailing ship especially designed for collecting marine animals, was launched in 1915.
 It may also be worthy of mention that the cultivation of pearls was extensively studied at the Station from 1908 to 1912. This study contributed greatly to the production of true cultured pearls.

expanded station
Dosun-Maru
Dosun-Maru

Back to Page Top

 Professor Isao IJIMA devoted himself to the education of those pioneering young students in the early days of zoology in Japan. He wrote "A Manual of Zoology" (in Japanese), one of his masterpieces, in 1918; in it we can clearly recognize the great contribution made by the MMBS to the advancement of zoology in this country.
 After the sudden death of Professor IJIMA in 1921, his duties as Director fell to Professor Naohide YATSU (3rd Director). Under his leadership, it was planned to introduce many experimental devices to the laboratory in order to modernize the Station; he began this work by planning the remodeling of the buildings in 1923.

Prof. Isao IJIMA
Prof. Isao IJIMA
The 2nd Director (1904-1921)
Prof. Naohide YATSU
Prof. Naohide YATSU
The 3rd Director (1922-1938)

Back to Page Top

 Unfortunately, however, the "Great Kanto Earthquake" came at just that time - on September 1, 1923; the buildings of the Station were seriously damaged. Many valuable specimens were lost, and several buildings were half-destroyed. Even worse, the fauna in the surroundings were considerably damaged by the sudden elevation of the coast (about 1 m).


Back to Page Top